SEPARATE YOUR SELF-WORTH FROM YOUR APPEARANCE
- This is the opportunity to focus on things that you like about yourself and your body.
- Start to reframe your mind and thoughts to understand that your worth is not defined by your appearance. It is however defined by your inner self and how you treat yourself, and others.
- Do something nice for your body.
- Focus on your whole person. Everything is connected.
REFRAME FROM NEGATIVE SELF-TALK
- You can do this with a gratitude list of what your body CAN do for you.
- Catch yourself when you start to talk negatively about yourself and stop. Replace this with something positive and loving.
- Recite Positive Body Affirmations:
✨ My body is a temple that I treat with love and respect.
✨ My body is unique.
✨ My body is beautiful exactly as it is.
✨ My body is a gift.
✨ My body functions for me every single day.
✨ My self-worth is not tied to how I look.
✨ I am worthy of love and respect exactly as I am.
✨ I trust and listen to the wisdom of my body.
✨ My body is perfect for me.
✨ My body is sexy.
✨ I am beautiful.
EMBRACE HEALTHIER HABITS
- Educate yourself and become aware of your habits.
✨ For example: eating plant-based whole foods that are alive in nutrients, antioxidants and vibrancy will help you feel alive. What we ingest has an immense impact on our well-being.
- Start by listening closely to your body.
✨ Are you moving your body in ways that feel good? Is this a daily ritual?
- Are you staying hydrated?
- Are you getting enough rest? (read through our ‘Dream State’ blog HERE to get more insight on how to wind down in the evening and about your sleep cycles)’.
TAILOR YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA FEED TO INCLUDE ALL BODY SHAPES, SIZES, AND COLOURS
- It’s time to take a look at which accounts you are following and start eliminating, muting, and unfollowing those accounts that don’t make you feel good.
✨ Follow accounts that are actively posting about body confidence and body reality.
- Surround yourself (online and offline) with positivity.
We are a make up of the closest people we surround ourselves with consistently.
✨ Take a moment to consider if those closest to you in your life are uplifting you and making you feel good about yourself.
- Your dress size and weight do not define what a healthy and happy version of your body looks like.
✨ Remember that fluctuations in your body are normal and are caused by many different things (like hormones, time of the month, environmental, seasonal, stress etc).
COMPLIMENT YOURSELF AND OTHERS FREELY
We all love compliments. Even if we find it hard to take it from someone, the way it makes us feel when someone says something lovely to us or about us is such a blissful feeling. And what is even better is that we each have the choice to do that for someone every single day.
Compliment people freely and with your whole heart. Making others feel good, also helps you to feel amazing.
STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS
The world is a home to diverse bodies - yours included AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL!
Comparison can at times be a really motivating thing, but taken too far, or done consistently without self-awareness can end up making us feel so much worse about ourselves.
Constant comparing can put us in a lack mindset, which doesn’t allow us to sit and see gratitude for what we do have and what our wonderful bodies can do for us.
You can also try some of the journaling exercises below when you are feeling challenged:
✨ How do I want to feel in my body today?
✨ What negative thoughts can I change about my body?
✨ What three positive things can I tell my body today?
✨ How has social media affected my body?
✨ Where do my body insecurities stem from?
✨ What part of my body do I love the most?
✨ What movement can I do more of that makes my body feel good?
✨ What daily habits can I look to change that will have a positive impact on how I feel about my body?
✨ What are three incredible things my body can do for me?
✨ List ten things that you appreciate about your body.
If you feel like you / or someone close to you is struggling with body dysmorphia or an eating disorder please know that you are not alone. There are a number of charities and helplines available for you to reach out and speak to where you can learn more and find support.
We have listed a few recommended UK charities below:
✨ MIND UK